Sometimes it can happen that after making a piece with resin, it does not have the shine we expect. In these cases, it is necessary to polish the resin to recover its shine and leave it as new. Here I will show you how to do it!
- Water based sandpaper of various grades (400, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000).
- Metal polish or car polish paste
- Heat gun or hair dryer
- Soft microfiber cloth.
Step by step:
1. Spray a little water on the resin piece or soak it in water to wet it before smoothing it with sandpaper. Sanding the resin wet will give it a much smoother finish than sanding it dry and also minimizes the amount of dust produced in this process.
2. Proceed to sand the surface of the part using the highest grade sandpaper (400) until all the dust is removed and the surface is uniform.
3. Continue sanding the surface with the remaining sandpapers in ascending order (800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000) until the surface has a uniform finish and has no visible spots or marks.
4. Wash the piece with water and dry it well with a soft cloth. Make sure you have removed the dust left by the sandpaper.
5. Apply metal polish or automotive polishing paste to the surface of the part with resin.
6. With the help of a heat gun or hair dryer, heat the surface of the resin for a few minutes so that the polish begins to dry and crystallize.
7. Rub the polish with a soft cloth until the surface is completely polished.
8. Wipe the piece with water and a soft cloth to remove any remaining polish.
By following these simple steps, you will be able to restore the shine to your resin piece and leave it as good as new. Remember that the sanding and polishing process can be laborious.